Job Title: Solicitor
Nature of position: Property Litigation specialist
Experience: 2-4 years PQE
Hours required: Full time
Practice Area: Dispute Resolution
A long established but progressive client law firm based in Hertford is now seeking a Property Litigator. Their commercial and private offerings are roughly of the same size.
The Dispute Resolution team consists of two partners, four other solicitors, a legal executive and a paralegal. The team and individual members have been consistently ranked in Chambers UK and the Legal 500 for several years. They aim to provide the highest standard of service and quality of work to their many longstanding clients.
Their aim is to recruit progressive, forward thinking individuals who share our core values. .
This is a specialist property litigation role. Typical work will involve providing advice to landlords, management companies, managing agents and property owners, dealing with breach of covenant claims and other private landlord and tenant matters, business lease renewals, lease extensions and enfranchisement, Land Registry disputes, possession claims, easement and boundary disputes. They do not currently act for social landlords or in matters concerning social housing. They do not accept instructions on legal aid.
The successful Candidate will have an immediate caseload of mainly County Court and First-tier Tribunal work for which you will take primary responsibility.
With any remaining time you have you will build your practice through networking and other marketing activity with the aim of having your own client base, perhaps developing a particular specialism, and your being recognised individually in the legal directories.
• Ideally between 2-4 years PQE
• Good experience of a range of property litigation work
• Commercially minded
• Strong academics
• Confident, professional and friendly with the ability to build good working relationships internally and externally
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Strong organisational and administrative skills
• Effective team player
• Able to pay attention to detail in executing your written work particularly
• Able to demonstrate empathy and understanding of client needs
• Able to network with local businesses and key referrers
• Able to build your own client following
• Willing to work long hours when the circumstances require it
• Sense of humour
• Driving licence with access to own car
• Produce statements of case, witness statements and court notices with the need to rely on counsel only in cases of genuine complexity
• Write persuasive letters to opponents
• Provide sound advice to management companies, landlords and other clients by letter or e-mail in simple language that can be easily understood
• Meet on your own with clients for the purpose of taking instructions and giving advice
• Attend court with counsel as appropriate
• Appear in simple County Court and First-tier Tribunal matters without assistance of counsel e.g. possession claims
• Participate in team meetings and the firm’s other internal meetings as appropriate
• Promote the firm generally and develop the practice area via regular marketing activities including attending regular networking events and writing articles, blogs and use of social media
• Present seminars and workshops on topics within your area of practice to existing and prospective clients and referrers
Benefits: Excellent. Bupa Healthcare, Allocated Parking. Salary: £40-45,000++ pa doe