PARALEGAL – FAMILY LAW DEPT. – HERTFORD – REF: L4L865
Job Title: Paralegal / Secretary (Permanent Contract)
Hours required: Full time
Practice Area: Family
Our clients are a long established and progressive law firm based in Hertford. Their fee earners are all specialists and they act for a wide range of commercial, private and public sector clients. They are ranked in Chambers and Legal 500 and hold many accreditations which include Lexcel, CQS, WIQS, Customer Service Excellence and Cyber Essentials+ Accreditation.
Their aim is to recruit progressive, forward thinking individuals who generally share their core values..
This is a Paralegal/Secretary role within the Family team. You will work closely with the Partner /Head of the Family team, Senior Solicitor and NQ Solicitor within the practice area, supporting them in their private casework.
• Previous experience in family law is desirable but not essential.
• Strong academics
• Confident, professional and friendly with the ability to build good working relationships internally and externally
• Effective and proactive team worker
• Exceptional client service skills
• Efficient, reliable, helpful and enthusiastic
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Strong organisational and administrative skills
• Exemplary level of attention to detail
• Able to demonstrate empathy and understanding of clients’ needs
• Resilient and calm under pressure
• Adaptable and flexible approach
• Proactive and takes initiative
• High degree of integrity, professionalism and discretion
• Efficient time management skills
• Commercially minded
• Well-developed IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
• Driving licence with access to own car (preferable)
• To provide secretarial and administrative support within the Family practice area
• To liaise with clients and third parties by correspondence. Answer queries and relay necessary information in a professional and confident manner.
• To type a wide range of documents with speed and accuracy whilst paying attention to detail
• To assist in the preparation and proof reading of legal documents
• To assist the other members of the Family practice area in organising their work effectively
• To prepare bills, covering letters and take responsibility for the monitoring and reporting of unpaid bills to fee earners and carry out follow up tasks
• To monitor client ledgers and liaise with fee earners regarding housekeeping matters, including dealing with accounting issues and file closures
• To carry out procedural file reviews
• To maintain the orderly running of client files and update labels and Outlook with key dates as and when necessary
• To record messages and attendances and to ensure that the relevant team member received information in an appropriate and timely manner
• Prepare bundles of documents as required and in a timely fashion
• Attend court and take notes
• Attend client meetings and take accurate notes and prepare reports for clients
• Advise and assist clients in the progression of their matter under the supervision of the fee earner.
• Draft Client letters and documents
• Undertake legal research
• Promote the firm generally and assist to develop the practice area
• Attend and participate in team meetings
• To comply with the Firm’s, SRA and the Law Society’s rules with regard to accounting procedures
• To work within the Family Team and within the Firm if required
• To perform any duty not specifically referred to above, which may be reasonably requested by the Family team
• To maintain a level of confidentiality appropriate to this role
• To observe the Firm’s policies, rules and procedures
• To act in the best interest of the Firm always
• Personable and professional manner
With this role there is an element of Legal Secretarial duties and will suit a Paralegal who is happy to do some admin and secretarial work within this job role. Preferably someone with Family law experience would be desired.
20 days annual leave plus public holidays (increasing by 1 each year to a maximum of 25)
Non-contractual additional holidays at Christmas
Non-contractual profit share bonus
Auto enrolment pension
Bupa Health Care