INTERNATIONAL LAWYERS seeking to relocate and practice in the United Kingdom:
Applicants are required to take the following steps in order to be admitted to the roll of solicitors in England and Wales:
- To apply for the QLTS please make a direct application to Kaplan QLTS to register direct for an assessment. www.qlts.kaplan.co.uk www.qlts.kaplan.co.uk/the-assessment
- For the first part at Kaplan QLTS you have a MCT (Multiple Choice Test) at £565.00 plus VAT.
- For the second part at Kaplan QLTS you have an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) Test at £3,510.00 incl of VAT.
- When you have your results, you must apply to the SRA for Admission onto the Roll of Solicitors. As part of that process, if you have lived in UK for 12 months or more in last 5 years, they will need to carry out a background search on you, both criminal and financial. This is done through an independent body called Atlantic data. Fees are illustrated below.
- If you have lived in any other country/countries in the last 12 months – 5 yrs, it is necessary for these checks to be carried out.
- Apply to the SRA for a standard disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau — fee £42.00 www.sra.org.uk
- Apply to the SRA for Admission onto the Roll of Solicitors — fee £100.00. www.sra.org.uk
For any other enquiries please contact the Law Society on www.lawsociety.org.uk.